Promote a Love of Reading at Home!
Attention parents - you play a key role in your child's literacy development. Make reading time at home a habit.
- Set aside family reading time each day or several times per week
- Give gooks or magazines as gifts.
- Listen to audio books while driving in the car or relaxing at home.
- Allow your children to stay up 15 minutes later if they are reading.
- Engage your children in series books as the characters will become familiar.
- Play word games like Scrabble Flash, Blurt, Bananangrams and Apples to Apples Jr.
- Stash books where your children will be - in the care, intheir bedrooms, etc.
- Be a reading role model!
- Plan a book swap with your neighbors, friends and family members who have children the same age as yours
- Read the comics together from the newspaper
(IRC, Elish-Piper, 2011)
|Mrs. Kelly||Mrs. Gaafar|